A fundraiser has been launched to help the family of Dilan Hebert. Hebert, 32, had ties to South Florida’s LGBTQ community and was killed last month in North Carolina.
Hebert previously worked with South Florida Gay News and was close to the late publisher Norm Kent. He died after a fatal shooting April 28 in Hoke County, North Carolina.
Authorities have charged 21-year-old Thomas Makiel Flood with first-degree murder and other offenses connected to the case. A second person, 26-year-old Ashlynn Jane Berner, was later charged with accessory after the fact in connection with the investigation.
Now, Hebert’s fiancé has launched a GoFundMe to support herself and the couple’s two children.
“My fiancé [...] was tragically killed at our home by someone he called a ‘friend’ beside me, while our girls were sleeping not even a couple rooms away,” the fundraiser states.
According to the post, the couple planned to marry in three months. Hebert’s fiancé said she is now caring for the couple’s two daughters — a 4-year-old and a 3-month-old — while also facing funeral and living expenses.
“The sudden and heartbreaking loss of the father of my children, my support, and the person I planned to marry in three months has left me to care for our two children … by myself,” the post reads.
The fundraiser says donations will help cover funeral costs and ongoing expenses as the family works to rebuild stability after the shooting.
“Trying to maintain stability during this horrific time in my family’s life has definitely been difficult so far, but I’m determined to maintain that stability for my daughters,” the post states.
Click here to donate.
RELATED

